Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Teaching moment


I've been teaching an art class on Saturday mornings, a few years now, and I can't even begin to explain how many times I've tried to convince myself to quit. There are those kids who don't try as hard as they should, some are there because their well-off parents make them, some kids think I'm an art-Nazi since I'm tough. I work full-time, was recently promoted, have allot more responsibilities now and teaching seems like such a waste of free time when I could be doing more important things like spending time with my wife and baby. But its things like this that make it really tough, this week one of my students was just accepted to Art Center College of Design (a place I attended). Although not my first student to get into a great place to further their training, I couldn't be happier to think I had something to do with it. And this kid had something I had when I was that age - a real drive and passion to be a great artist. Honestly, how can you walk away from that?! I sure can't. Until I go teach again...looking for another excuse to quit.

3 comments:

IzzyMom said...

I taught for a while at the college level and I know what you mean. A lot of frustration with few rewards but when your students accomplish something and you know you played some small part, it's a great feeling.

Conversely, I gave up everything to be at home with my kids and I don't regret that at all. I figure teaching will always be there if I want to go back.

MrsFortune said...

Oh, there's so much shit you have to poke through before you get to the diamons, huh? And sometimes you don't find them and all you have are hands full of shit ... I can relate. :-)

Creative-Type Dad said...

How true.

I just wish there were more "diamonds", I think that would definitely change everything