Monday, July 10, 2006

She’s “1” Today!


One year ago today my wife started getting the pains, we called the midwife, and she said “meet you in an hour”. I remember that drive to the birthing center like it was yesterday - My wife and I talking about how when we drive home again it’ll be with our new little one and how things will never be the same again, how the realization of “oh my God! We’re going to be parents now’, kicked-in and chats about this time next year she’ll be turning 1 and in 13 years, she’ll be a teen, and 18 she’ll be in college and we’ll be, like, 100 years old….
A few hours later she “finally decided to come out” and seeing her, holding her had to be the strangest feeling in the world. Inside mom, women just have this natural bond. As a Dad all you can do is talk through the belly and feel kicks. But that day you hold them, eyes looking at you…wow!


I remember so many parents telling us that the first year goes by really fast. So fast that you forget certain stages, and that they change almost daily. That’s funny, when you’re up at 2am, 4am and your house feels more like Denny’s than a home, you don’t quite feel like the first year is moving along fast enough.
It all happened gradually, sleeping more, laughing, trying to say words, standing, attempt at crawling, ninja-grabbing skills, finally being able to bottle feed - which for me, the first time doing that…was truly amazing – I still remember that “look” she gave me, like, “I don’t get it…where’s the boob? …You’re not mama”.
In retrospect it did go by fast, and now seeing her move along on her own, feeding herself, learning to use things, personal taste, her humor, etc. I always think to myself - how in the world can something develop and grow so much in just one year? I don’t get it, but she truly amazes me.

I had lunch with a longtime single-guy artist friend a few weeks ago, in conversation he was talking about how he doesn't see the benefits; parenting is changing diapers, listening to whines, life kind of stops and they aren’t able to do anything fun. It’s not something he could ever do because he’s too busy being creative. I told him this:

Me: “You know how when you create something (art, a film, painting, etc.) and you get that overwhelming satisfaction that 'one day' it premieres or finally shows.”

Him: “Yeah, of course!”

Me: “I get that feeling everyday now”

5 comments:

Rick Andreoli said...

What a genius comment on your part! Any person who can't see that side of parenting is just plain short-sighted, and I don't even have children.

Ryan said...

Congrats on your daughter turning one. I think maybe that some people who do not have kids only hear the horror stories and maybe they cannot think past the dirty diapers and attitudes. Sure, those things can be quite challenging and even completely overwhelming at times, but it is all worth it. Like you said, everyday you have a satisfaction. I agree (though everyday is not easy). :)

j.sterling said...

awwwww- happy birthday little one!!!!!!!!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Thanks everybody!

Anonymous said...

I love this post! Happy belated b-day to your beautiful little angel :)